Friday, December 31, 2010

My Favorite Sports Moment Of The Year.

Truth be told, i'm not like a lot of American males. Or American sports fans in general. I absolutely love Soccer (Football).
And my favorite sports moment of 2010 shows part of the reason why I love it so much.


The World Cup only comes around every four years, and aside from the knockout stages of the UEFA Champions League you can't find soccer matches that are more exciting.
However, the best part of the World Cup is how it brings whole nations together.

The US national team, has certainly gotten a lot better in the last decade or so. They may not be ready to constantly challenge the top tier teams in the world, but they have been able to hold their own. That was evident in the '09 Confederations cup when they defeated then #1 ranked and eventual World Cup champs Spain. And playing Brazil tough before eventually falling 3-2.

So when I saw who was in our group at the World Cup, I pretty much assumed that we would make it through out of the group ok. I should always remember to not assume too much.

For the US it came down to the last match of the Group Stage against Algeria. Win and they move on simple as that right? It took almost the entire match and a lot of nail biting on my part but this is what happened.


I can't tell you how many times I've watched this goal since it happened. But, I still get chills everytime. The World Cup can't get here soon enough.



J




1 comment:

  1. Wow J... I had forgotten how exciting that goal was. Watching it again definitely brought a tear to my eye and I loved watching all of those shots of fans watching it live. That is a great and memorable video.

    ReplyDelete